Friday, March 6, 2009

I Do What I Don't Want To Do...

I'm finding that too often I do exactly what I'm hard on other people for doing. Have you been walking through the grocery store and hear a scream that catches your attention? You turn, already knowing what to look for. A toddler or child crying. Too often I catch myself thinking about what they should do as a mom, or what type of punishment to deal out to the child. That is, until I was that mom in the grocery store. I remember it well...
Charis had been dealing with a pretty nasty cold all week. We'd both been cooped up and I was dying to get out of the house. Normally she's my shopping buddy. She loves any kind of shopping and will gladly spend the day hopping from store to store. So we venture out to Bloom to pick up a few groceries. It's close to the house, we've been stuck inside, and she probably needs a break from the same walls she's seen day in and day out.
As soon as I plop her in the grocery cart I notice it. She was fine on the drive over, even perky! But the dark circles popped up, her posture wilted, and she put her head down on the bar of the cart. Then commenced the crying. At this point we've got the necessities only in the cart and I'm rushing to the line to get out of there! By the time we got to the cashier, all eyes were on us, and my child was face down in the front of the cart (no easy task, mind you...but she was determined to lay down).
My face red with embarrassment, I reflected on the situation as I drove home (Charis crying the whole way). How often have I been quick to judge someone because of what I see. But I only see part of the picture. Too rarely I jump to my own conclusions without giving others the benefit of the doubt. Is the child sick? Having an off day?
How about me? I'm thankful that God sees it all, even what I don't want anyone to see, and still bestows grace and a healthy dose of humility. It's time to stop looking at what others should do and start looking at what ways they reflect Christ better than I do. I could learn a thing or two from that mom in the grocery store, I'm sure. But even more so, we could learn a lot from friends and family (the ones most of us tend to be the hardest on.)
God's challenging me to look at those around me and stop being the judge, but the student. I guess every now and then I need a visit to the Principal to set me straight.

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts! So true. Everyone has bad days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good. Thanks for writing this, it was a good reminder for me!

    ReplyDelete