Thursday, May 21, 2009

Twilight




I recently watched the movie Twilight with my husband. I have to admit that the books and movie make me giddy. Not just happy... giddy. I feel all giggly and get butterflies. After talking about the movie and books with a friend it hit me why I feel that way...




It reminds me of that first-love feeling. I get that way when I watched The Notebook, Pride and Prejudice, and any number of drama-filled love stories. Oddly enough I don't usually see a movie preview for a romance and think, "I gotta see that!" But after reading the Twilight series, I definitely wanted to see the movie.




So all the giddy, lovey-dovey-ness got me thinking. And thinking. I found myself thinking about the movie while watching TV, reading, fixing dinner, etc. And the parts that kept running through my head were the sweet yet passionate scenes where Bella and Edward are proclaiming their love for one another.




It reminded me of something I read in Captivating by John and Stacy Eldredge. " [E]very woman in her heart of hearts longs...to be romanced" (8). So true!




I think I love those movies because of the romance and it reminds me of a time when I first met Brian and he was all I could think about. Not that I don't think about him often, because I do. I've been learning a lot lately about what it really means to love someone. And though it's not always butterflies and passion, why not want that in your marriage? I'm learning that it can be that way. And sometimes, it's not about the other person. It's about me. I choose what I think about. I choose where I allow my thoughts to go. I choose to dwell on something frustrating or to dwell on something uplifting. So can I choose to swoon over my husband? Yes! I love Brian but sometimes I need to swoon too.



For me, I have to make it a mental priority. Almost to a point where it goes on my "to-do" list.






  • Change a diaper (check!)
  • Think about Brian (check!)
  • What's for dinner? (check!)
  • Laundry (check!)




And so on. I get so busy. Busy with kids, busy with life, and busy with me. That's right. I said it. I think about what I want way too much. And marriage is important to me. Brian is the love of my life. He's what I've been waiting for since I was a little girl. So it's time I start acting that way, right?





I do long to be romanced. But sometimes I need to put aside my "need-to" list and work on the "want to" list. I want to spend time with my husband. I want to have a butterfly-tummy, giggly school girl crush on him. And I want him to know that I still get all warm and fuzzy when I think about him. He's amazing.





"Love is a decision and not just a feeling. It is selfless, sacrificial, and transformational...God uses marriage to help us eliminate loneliness, multiply our effectiveness, establish families, raise children, enjoy life, and bless us with relational intimacy. But beyond this, marriage also shows us our need to grow and deal with our own issues of self-centeredness through the help of a lifelong partner" (The Love Dare).





I know it won't always be silliness and warm fuzzies, but I think God gets a kick out of seeing couples that still get them.





1 comment:

  1. This must be why we are best friends:) We think a like and I love it. Your post was right on girlfriend!
    By the way, this is Abigail not David:)

    ReplyDelete